Michigan DT Pipkins (torn ACL) out for year
Michigan Wolverines sophomore defensive tackle Ondre Pipkins will miss the rest of the 2013-14 season following an ACL tear, which he suffered Saturday against Minnesota.
"You hurt for Ondre, and I really do because I coach him and he's in my meeting room every day," Michigan coach Brady Hoke said in a news release. "He was really starting to turn the corner on the field and become a productive football player for us. The good news is he's young, he's a great kid and he has a lot of great football ahead of him. We will help him get through this."
The Wolverines (5-0, 1-0 Big Ten) got some good news in that redshirt junior linebacker Jake Ryan has been cleared by doctors to play. Hoke said Ryan could've played last Saturday against Minnesota, but that they're being cautious.
"I think he's getting closer," Hoke said. "We'll have a good practice with him [Tuesday] and believe me, he's wanting to play, seems to feel OK. But we still need to make sure he can do the things that he's capable of doing."
Hoke said Ryan could "potentially" play in this weekend's matchup against Penn State, but that the decision will come down to Hoke.
Pipkins appeared in all five games for the Wolverines, and he finishes with seven tackles.
This is the second serious injury for Pipkins at Michigan. As a freshman last August, he suffered a neck injury during practice, prompting him to be carried off the field on a stretcher and taken to the University of Michigan hospital. However, he returned to practice three days later and finished the season with appearances in each of Michigan's 13 games.
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival 46 min ago
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images 20 min ago
- 6 dead, 60+ hurt in NYC gas explosion 23 min ago
- High winds cause damage across the region 9 min ago
- Residents forced to vacate East Oak Lane condo
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls
- High winds cause power outages in Wilmington
- Rescue crews pull woman from Schuylkill River
- Crews investigate hazmat situation at Philadelphia hotel
- Health officials: Drexel student died from meningitis
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW...
46 min ago
- 6 dead, 60+ hurt in NYC gas explosion
23 min ago
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China...
20 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos