Rape charges dropped against ex-Temple LB
All charges have been dropped against a former member of Temple University's football team who was accused of rape.
PHILADELPHIA -- All charges have been dropped against a former member of Temple's football team who was accused of rape.
Attorneys for 20-year-old Praise Martin-Oguike said the charges were dismissed as jury selection was to begin Monday.
The woman told police Martin-Oguike assaulted her in May 2012 in his dorm room. Martin-Oguike said the encounter was consensual.
Martin-Oguike's attorney James Funt said charges were dropped after a review of the woman's text messages with her friends indicated she was not truthful about being raped.
Funt said the former Temple linebacker was victimized by the woman "simply because he would not agree to have a romantic long-term relationship with her."
Martin-Oguike was suspended from the team after he was charged. He now attends a New Jersey community college.
- Chinese official: No proof to link debris to jet
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls
- High winds cause power outages in Wilmington
- Residents given 2 days to vacate East Oak Lane apt.
- Rescue crews pull woman from Schuylkill River
- Crews investigate hazmat situation at Philadelphia hotel
- Health officials: Drexel student died from meningitis
- DeCoatsworth seeks to withdraw guilty plea
- Woman, boy rescued from Olney house fire
- Mistrial declared in Philly priest sex-abuse case
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos