Auburn QB Marshall to start vs. Texas A&M
Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall will start against No. 7 Texas A&M, but freshman Jeremy Johnson could also play a role in the offense.
AUBURN, Ala. -- Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall will return from a one-game absence to start against No. 7 Texas A&M, but freshman Jeremy Johnson could also play a role in the offense, coach Guz Malzahn said Tuesday.
Marshall, a junior college transfer, sat out Auburn's easy victory against Western Carolina to rest a knee injury suffered against Mississippi.
"He was locked in during practice last week," Malzahn said. "He practiced Sunday and looked good. Got another week of practice. We're past the midway point. If it was early in the season, I'd be concerned but not too concerned now."
Johnson, who had appeared headed for a redshirt year, was 17-of-21 passing for 201 yards and four touchdowns in his college debut to earn SEC freshman of the week honors.
Center Reese Dismukes said there isn't much adjustment between the two quarterbacks, since both get plenty of snaps in practice.
"There's not really a big difference at all," Dismukes said. "They're definitely different play-style types but not really that big a difference."
Marshall has passed for 902 yards and rushed for 288, including 140 against Ole Miss -- the most by an SEC quarterback this season.
"Nick is great on his feet," Auburn tailback Tre Mason said. "He can do some of the things Johnny (Manziel) can do. He's great on his feet, if not even better. That guy is just a complete athlete and people need to look out for him because he's going to be making plays himself."
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station... 41 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Video: Would-be firebomber sets self on fire 54 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos