Alabama, Florida St. lead 1st BCS standings
No. 1 Alabama and No. 2 Florida State have the inside track to the national championship game after topping the season's first BCS standings.
The standings, released Sunday night, put Florida State ahead of No. 3 Oregon, one day after the Seminoles cruised to a 51-14 win at Clemson.
In both polls that are used in the BCS calculations, Oregon is second and Florida State third, but the standings' computer component gave the Seminoles the advantage.
The percentage of votes in the USA Today and Harris polls each count for one third of the calculations. A composite ranking of six computers make up the final third. Each team's highest and lowest computer rankings are ignored in the calculations.
Florida State had the best overall computer ranking, followed by the SEC's Alabama and Missouri. The computers ranked Oregon fourth.
The Seminoles led three of the computers, Alabama led two, and Missouri topped one.
The computers were not kind to the Big 12 -- Texas Tech has the 11th-best computer ranking while Baylor is 12th, despite their perfect records.
No. 14 Virginia Tech, which was ranked No. 19 by both polls, also received a large computer boost.
The SEC has six schools in the BCS top 25, the most of any conference, while the ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12 all have four.
The Big Ten has three schools in the top 25, but there's a steep drop-off after Ohio State. Michigan is No. 22 and Nebraska is No. 24.
One of those schools will earn a BCS bid if it finishes in the top 12, or if it finishes in the top 16 and ahead of an AQ conference champion. That appears to be a strong possibility this season because Fresno State and Northern Illinois are both ahead of the top teams from the American Athletic Conference: No. 20 Louisville and No. 23 UCF.
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Vice principal commits suicide after ferry accident
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos