Evans not up for Heisman? Sumlin 'puzzled'
As No. 12 Texas A&M gets a break from the high-pressure Southeastern Conference with a nonconference game against UTEP on Saturday, coach Kevin Sumlin took time to reflect on his two star players.
COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- As No. 12 Texas A&M gets a break from the high-pressure SEC with a nonconference game against UTEP on Saturday, coach Kevin Sumlin took time to reflect on his two star players.
Then he wondered why only Manziel was being touted as a Heisman Trophy contender.
"I'm puzzled why Mike Evans isn't in the Heisman race," Sumlin said. "I think he's as good a player as there is in the country."
Manziel, who became the first freshman to win the Heisman last season, is again a front-runner for the award after throwing for 2,594 yards with 22 touchdowns and running for 497 yards with six more scores.
The 6-foot-5 Evans is second in the nation with 1,101 yards receiving and has scored 11 touchdowns, but hasn't been mentioned much in Heisman talk.
"He's second in the country in yards per game and everybody knows we're going to throw him the ball," Sumlin said.
One possible explanation for Evans not getting Heisman consideration is because he's on the same team as Manziel. But Sumlin brushed off that thought after the experience he had as an assistant at Oklahoma in 2004.
"People say you can't have two guys that can do that," Sumlin said. "But I was on a team at Oklahoma that had Jason White and Adrian Peterson."
That season Matt Leinart won the award and Peterson and White finished second and third.
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 53 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures 46 min ago
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
6 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos