Missouri Southern assistant dies in shooting
A 39-year-old man has been charged in the shooting death of a Missouri Southern State University football coach.
JOPLIN, Mo. -- A 39-year-old man has been charged in the shooting death of a Missouri Southern football coach.
Joplin police said Saturday that the Jasper County prosecutor's office has charged Jeffery L. Bruner of Joplin with felony murder and armed criminal action in 37-year-old Derek Moore's death. Moore died after he was shot Friday night as he left a Joplin movie theater.
Bruner is being held without bond in Joplin. Jail officials say it's not clear if he has a lawyer.
Moore was in his first year as a Missouri Southern offensive line coach. He came to MSSU after three seasons at Western Illinois.
The university canceled its homecoming activities and said in a statement the school was "stunned and deeply saddened" by Moore's death.
- Man critical after police-involved shooting
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt 20 min ago
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Man swallows gold bars in India
- Video: Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos