Missouri Southern assistant dies in shooting
A 39-year-old man has been charged in the shooting death of a Missouri Southern State University football coach.
JOPLIN, Mo. -- A 39-year-old man has been charged in the shooting death of a Missouri Southern football coach.
Joplin police said Saturday that the Jasper County prosecutor's office has charged Jeffery L. Bruner of Joplin with felony murder and armed criminal action in 37-year-old Derek Moore's death. Moore died after he was shot Friday night as he left a Joplin movie theater.
Bruner is being held without bond in Joplin. Jail officials say it's not clear if he has a lawyer.
Moore was in his first year as a Missouri Southern offensive line coach. He came to MSSU after three seasons at Western Illinois.
The university canceled its homecoming activities and said in a statement the school was "stunned and deeply saddened" by Moore's death.
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 31 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos