Virginia St. ineligible for playoffs after fight
The Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association has declared Virginia State ineligible for the NCAA Division II playoffs after Winston-Salem State's quarterback was beaten during a bathroom fight between players from the schools.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association has declared Virginia State ineligible for the NCAA Division II playoffs after Winston-Salem State's quarterback was beaten during a bathroom fight between players from the schools.
The CIAA issued a statement Saturday night saying its board of directors made its decision during an emergency conference call.
Winston-Salem State chancellor Donald Reaves says quarterback Rudy Johnson was "viciously beaten" by Virginia State players in a bathroom during a luncheon Friday before the scheduled championship game between the schools.
Forsyth County authorities say Trojans running back Lamont Daniel Britt is charged with misdemeanor assault inflicting serious injury.
The CIAA canceled the title game and later authorized commissioner Jacqie Carpenter to conduct an investigation.
Before the suspension was announced, Virginia State coach Latrell Scott apologized for the incident and said there was one of his players involved in the fight.
"I apologize for yesterday's unfortunate incident at the CIAA luncheon," Scott said in a statement. "One of our players made a mistake and cost our team the opportunity to play in the CIAA championship game today. This isolated incident does not represent us as a team or university and we extend our deepest regrets to the WSSU player involved. Due to the ongoing investigation, I cannot comment on the details of the events that took place but can clarify that only one of our players, not five as previously reported, was involved."
Both teams are 9-1 and were in position for postseason berths. The playoff field will be announced Sunday.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 19 min ago
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 1 min ago
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos