Winston-Salem State 4-seed in D-II playoffs
Winston-Salem State has earned a No. 4 seed for the NCAA Division II football playoffs and will host Slippery Rock next weekend.
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- Winston-Salem State has earned a No. 4 seed for the NCAA Division II football playoffs and will host Slippery Rock next weekend.
Winston-Salem State (9-1) was scheduled to play Virginia State for the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association championship Saturday. But the league canceled the game after Rams quarterback Rudy Johnson was beaten during a bathroom fight between players from the schools during Friday's pregame luncheon.
Late Saturday, the CIAA declared Virginia State ineligible for the playoffs. A VSU player has been charged with misdemeanor assault inflicting serious injury connected to the incident.
The CIAA had also canceled its women's volleyball championship set to be held in Winston-Salem as part of a championship weekend, but said Sunday it had rescheduled the event for next weekend at Fayetteville State.
The rest of the playoff schedule can be found here.
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 17 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Investigator: Missing plane flew over Malaysia 14 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Truck overturns on Paoli Pike; 1 injury
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- SEPTA unveils strike plan; union says...
10 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
17 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos