Martinez in Phila. to take physical for Phils
PHILADELPHIA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - July 14, 2009 (WPVI) -- Pitching legend Pedro Martinez is in Philadelphia today to take a physical for the Phillies. If he passes the physical he's expected to talk contract with the team.
Late Monday night, Martinez arrived at Philadelphia International Airport where he told Action News sports reporter Jeff Skversky that he would need to spend a few weeks in the minor leagues if the Phils sign him.
"I have too much respect for the game and too much respect for the fans to actually report there out of shape, " Martinez said.
Then he hedged his bets about whether he would sign with the Phils.
"I really want to bring something to the Phillies or to whoever I go, but it's gonna take a little bit longer. I haven't really pitched that much in the last month or so."
He added that a big priority for him is to go to a contender, which makes him very interested in the Phils.
He said the Phillies don't need much to put them in the World Series again.
Martinez explained his poor season last year with the Mets as the result of surgery and the death of his father.
Phils General Manager Ruben Amaro Junior, watched the 37-year-old pitch in a simulated game in the Dominican Republic last week. Martinez reportedly threw a fastball that clocked between 88 and 91 miles an hour and had a lot of movement on his breaking pitches.
Martinez was one of the best pitchers in baseball when he played for the Boston Red Sox, but he then spent four disappointing, injury-plagued years with the New York Mets.
The Phillies have intensified their search for starting pitching after starter Brett Myers was lost for the season with a hip injury.
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ
- Winter's Last Blast
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words 29 min ago
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
- Video: Car spins out on I-95 in South Phila.
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep 46 min ago
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash