Martinez passes physical with the Phillies
PHILADELPHIA - July 14, 2009 (WPVI) -- Pedro Martinez is in town and Action News has learned he passed his physical.
Now we wait for the Phillies to make it official. That should come tomorrow.
A happy Pedro Martinez was in and out of the doctor's office Tuesday for his physical with the Phillies.
While the 3-time Cy Young Award winner playfully dodged questions about playing for the Phils, he did talk extensively to Action News late Monday night when he arrived in town at Philadelphia International Airport.
"I'm really happy to have an opportunity to be on a contending team that's got a pretty good chance to win. So, I'm hoping that I can bring whatever help they need," said Martinez.
Even if he signs within the next day or so, he's still not expected to be pitching in the big leagues for the Phillies for at least a few weeks.
When asked if he feels as though he needs rehab or to go down in the minors to prepare himself for a return, Pedro said, "Without a doubt. Without a doubt. This is the big leagues. I have too much respect for the game to actually go out there out of shape or probably not in the best shape I could be. Because I really want to bring something special to the Phillies."
Regardless of what the next steps for the 37-year-old, he's acting like he hasn't a worry in the world.
mlb, jeff skversky
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 3 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Trash truck overturns on Rt. 130 in Pennsauken 32 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown 30 min ago
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 52 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Photos: Royal family kicks off tour of Australia
- Freeze Warning overnight
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos