AP Source: Martinez agrees to deal with Phils
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - July 14, 2009 -- Pedro Martinez is returning to the major leagues.
A person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press on Tuesday night that Martinez has agreed to a $1 million, one-year contract with the Philadelphia Phillies. The source spoke on condition of anonymity because an official announcement hadn't been made.
The source says the three-time Cy Young Award winner is in town for a physical, and the Phillies planned to hold a news conference on Wednesday.
Martinez can earn up to $1.5 million in incentives. The eight-time All-Star will need to make at least a few starts in the minors before he's ready to join Philadelphia's depleted rotation.
The 37-year-old Martinez went 5-6 with a 5.61 ERA for the New York Mets last year. The free agent pitched in the World Baseball Classic before this season.
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar 10 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote 45 min ago
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen 10 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
10 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
10 min ago