Young Phillies fan tosses dad's souvenir
PHILADELPHIA - September 16, 2009 (WPVI) -- During Phillies' Tuesday night sellout, a touching family moment turned into comic relief and a video that is drawing national attention.
A toddler from Laurel Springs, New Jersey, stole the hearts of baseball fans Tuesday night during the Phillies-Nationals game at Citizens Bank Park.
Phillies outfielder Jayson Werth was at bat when he hit a foul ball into the crowd behind home plate.
Steve Monforto leaned over the railing and made a beautiful 2-handed catch. He celebrates with other fans, high-fives his 3-year-old daughter, Emily, and hands his prize over to his little daughter to keep.
But instead of hanging on to it, Emily does what little kids do: She throws the ball back!
Her dad was shocked, he definitely wasn't expecting that. But instead of getting mad he wraps his arms around his daughter and hugs her, a sweet and priceless moment.
Apparently the girl was a little upset after the toss.
"I gave her a big hug and she buried her head in my chest and I said 'It's all right, don't worry about it," Steve said.
"I give [her] a ball at home, and she throws it and I throw it back," Steve continued. "So, I gave her a ball and she threw it!"
Mom watched it all unfold.
"I was just like, 'That's awesome' because he caught it, he was so excited," Kathleen Monforto said. "That's so cute, he's going to give it to Emily, she's going to love it... And she just tossed it!"
Kathleen says she tears up watching the reruns of that moment, which she says show what a great dad Steve is.
The Monfortos have another daughter, 15-month old Cecilia. Some are wondering if this one special moment at the ballpark might show to the world a different side to Philadelphia sports fans.
Meanwhile, the Phillies replaced the Monforto's ball right away.
It's the third time in 2 seasons that a young Phillies fan has grabbed widespread headlines.
Earlier this season, a 2-year-old boy named Eddie made news for his ability to memorize the Phillies' players.
- Apartments evacuated in Bucks Co. hazmat investigation 29 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia 53 min ago
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ