World Series: A Mental Game
October 28, 2009 (WPVI) -- Some say playing baseball is just as much mental as it is physical, so how do the Phillies look mentally?
The party is over, now it's time for the Phillies to get back to business.
"I think everyone knows we have a job to do and we know how to do it," Phillies outfielder Jayson Werth said.
Jen Croneberger of Excellence Training Camps, Inc. says the Phillies have the right attitude. She's one of few certified mental game coaching professionals.
"We see the games as really what's between your ears," Croneberger said.
She says the defending champs are confident, they have chemistry and experience.
2009 WORLD SERIES
- WORLD SERIES POLL - Who will win the 2009 World Series?
- INTERACTIVE: See how the Phillies and Yankees stack up, player by player
- Stub Hub World Series Ticket Prices
- Ticket Liquidator World Series Ticket Prices
- Philadelphia Phillies ticket information site
- Citizens Bank Park parking and driving directions
"Knowing what to expect, knowing there will be a lot of media, knowing it's going to be cold&just knowing what comes in to play in postseason I think has helped us out, so far," Phillies second baseman Chase Utley said.
But on the flip side of that experience come statistics. Not many teams have been able to win back to back World Series. The last team was the Yankees. So to overcome the Yankees' legacy, Croneberger says the Phillies should treat them like they would any other opponent, which is what they plan to do.
"You don't look at it any differently than just a game of baseball," Phillies outfielder Shane Victorino said.
Croneberger says if the Phillies can stick to their routines, shake off mistakes quickly, and stay focused, they'll be in good shape.
PHILLIES FANS CENTRAL
- Send in your own Phillies photos and videos!
- Check out other Phillies fans honoring their team!
- Have plans for watching the Phillies? Tell us!
- Relive the Road to the 2008 World Series Championship
Shane Victorino says staying focused is one of the team's biggest assets.
Ryan Howard is said to use meditation to help him focus.
As for who's hungrier for the title, many think the Yankees feel they have something to prove this year, but Croneberger says make no mistake, the Phillies are just as hungry.
"They've gotten the taste and they like it," Croneberger said.
2009 NATIONAL LEAGUE SERIES
- 2009 NLCS Photos
- Fans celebrate 2009 NLCS victory
- 2009 NLDS Photos
- VIDEOS: Phillies react 2009 NLE Championship
mlb, ali gorman, r.n.
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking snow for Monday 4 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas 25 min ago
- Delaware Co. mother seeks help finding son's killer
- Minn. man pulls police officer from burning car
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- AccuWeather: Tracking snow for Monday
4 min ago