Phillies may have Lidge, Polanco back soon
MIAMI (AP) - May 30, 2010 -- The Philadelphia Phillies could have closer Brad Lidge and third baseman Placido Polanco back early this week.
Lidge said his surgically repaired right elbow is ready to go, and tests performed Sunday on Polanco's ailing left elbow showed no major damage.
"I'm assuming we're ready to go," Lidge said.
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro said Lidge could be activated shortly - the closer who helped the Phillies win the World Series in 2008 wants it to happen Monday. Polanco is expected to rejoin the team after getting a cortisone shot "to calm it down" in Philadelphia on Monday, Amaro said.
Lidge said he was throwing all his pitches in a session on Saturday like normal, with no soreness. Amaro said the team is still assessing when to make the roster move.
"I feel like I'm ready for sure," Lidge said. "I don't really feel like I need to do any more. It's coming out of my hand the way it needs to right now to get major league hitters out. ... I think we've kind of figured out some of the things that were bothering it and we've got a good program for it now. That's obviously what we'll be doing, and we feel pretty confident."
Lidge has pitched in only four games this season. He took a cortisone shot earlier this month, and began the year on the disabled list following offseason surgery.
Polanco was held out of the entire three-game series over the weekend at Florida because of his elbow issue, which started when he was hit by a pitch about a month ago. An MRI exam ruled out bigger problems.
"He's had a spur for years, but no chipping," Amaro said. "Just a little bit of a bruise. They call it a Grade 1 contusion and it's improving."
Amaro also said shortstop Jimmy Rollins, who's on the DL for the second time this season with a calf strain, started jogging again Saturday and is feeling better.
philadelphia phillies, brad lidge, mlb
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash 48 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 51 min ago
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 58 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash 9 min ago
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle...
48 min ago