Charlie Manuel reacts to Cliff Lee's return to the Phillies
COATESVILLE, Pa. - December 14, 2010 (WPVI) -- Even if he wasn't ready to talk about it on Tuesday morning, Charlie Manuel was clearly excited about ace pitcher Cliff Lee returning to his team."It's a big deal for us," Manuel said as he arrived at the Coatesville VA Medical Center Community Living Center for a team event. "At the same time, it's not official yet and everything so to me it's like rumor until we're ready to go."
"That's kind of how I look at it," Manuel added. "Can't say too much."
Lee is expected to sign a five year deal that is worth between $100 million to $120 million. It won't officially be a done deal until Lee passes a physical examination.
For that reason, Manuel had no "official" word. However, phans at the VA Center had plenty to say!
"I'm already looking forward to next season!" said Rochelle Kachejian. When asked if the World Series was a lock now, she said "It's a lock! There's no question about it, we got it!"
Many are already calling it the best lineup in baseball.... ever!
"It's wonderful. The greatest pitching group in the country," said Rosemary Wharton. "No stopping them now. We've got to win the World Series this year."
Former Phillies pitcher Marty Bystrom was with Manuel at the VA Center. He said he couldn't believe his ears when he heard the news.
"It's exciting news. When I first heard it this morning I couldn't believe it," Bystrom said. "I'm sure Phillies phans all across the country are ecstatic and can't wait to get the season started."
We tried to get Charlie to react to the news one more time by asking him who he thought the best pitchers in baseball are. His response?
"That's a loaded question... I'd probably pick Cy Young," quipped Manuel.
He may not get Cy Young, but maybe he can make do with two Cy Young Award winners.
philadelphia phillies, cliff lee, charlie manuel, mlb, david henry
- 2 million dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del. 44 min ago
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill
- Husband charged with wife's murder in Bethlehem
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- 3 injured in car crash in Pennsauken
- Fire damages South Philadelphia apartment
- Man shot several times in stomach in Chester
- Police: Job applicant stole from tip jar
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor