Phillies draft pick heads to Clearwater
PHILADELPHIA - February 4, 2011 (WPVI) -- Pack it up. Move it out. The Phillies stuff headed south, due to arrive on Sunday. And right behind it, one young player with his eye on the future.
With all eyes on the Phillies current monster pitching staff, Mount Airy native, Jesse Biddle has his eyes set on pitching with them.
"It's a good time to be rookie," said Jesse Biddle. "I have a lot of role models to look at."
The Phillies 1st round draft pick from a year ago, Biddle is preparing for his first full season of Minor League Baseball.
Over the winter, the 19 year old lefty is throwing three times a week, and has already dropped 15 pounds.
"It all starts with the work you put in the weight room and in your bull pen sessions, and that's what I am doing. I'm trying to be the hardest working guy in the whole organization," said Biddle.
The Phillies project Biddle to be in the big leagues in 3 to 5 years. Biddle plans to go to Spring Training on Tuesday, work his tail of down there and wait to be assigned to one of the Phillies Minor League affiliates.
"You know, one of the things I plan on doing down there is watching. And that's the biggest thing, keeping your eyes and your mind open, and probably keeping your mouth shut," said Biddle. "I'm just going to watch, and try not to say anything stupid."
So for Biddle is letting his actions speak louder than his words. He is 4 in 1 with an ERA under 4 last season in the Minors, and to improve those numbers, he's developing a changeup.
philadelphia phillies, mlb
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy 44 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser 27 min ago
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry 12 min ago
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche 9 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South...
12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
44 min ago