Giants, Phillies clear benches in skirmish
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - August 5, 2011 (WPVI) -- Benches cleared in the top of the sixth inning during Friday night's game between the Phillies and Giants after San Francisco reliever Ramon Ramirez hit Shane Victorino in the back with a pitch.
Victorino began walking toward the mound and Giants catcher Eli Whiteside stepped in front of him. Placido Polanco raced in from second base and was tackled by Whiteside, who along with Victorino was ejected. Ramirez also was tossed.
Giants first baseman Aubrey Huff was in the middle of the scrum and Phillies leadoff man Jimmy Rollins shoved San Francisco bench coach Ron Wotus as they exchanged words.
Victorino pushed plate umpire Mike Muchlinski trying to get back into the fray, then was held back by Wotus and Phillies hitting coach Greg Gross.
Philadelphia led 8-2. The favored Phillies were eliminated by the Giants in the NL championship series last fall as San Francisco went on to win the franchise's first World Series title since moving West in 1958.
The Giants took two of three in Philadelphia last week.
philadelphia phillies, shane victorino, mlb
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd 52 min ago
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del. 27 min ago
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar 9 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball