Domonic Brown fighting for future with Phillies
CLEARWATER, Florida - March 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- Domonic Brown was supposed to be a slam dunk when the Phillies said he was untouchable, but fans are wondering what happened? And can he get that label back?
With Raul Ibanez gone, left field will probably occupied this season by either John Mayberry, Jr. or Lance Nix.
But don't forget about Domonic Brown. Remember him? The Phillies top prospect is trying to steal a job.
Dominic Brown is still swinging for the big leagues. The once top ranked prospect in all of baseball, has struggled during his brief time in the majors.
In 56 games last season, he hit just 245; he is now just a career 236 hitter.
But Brown has been down in Clearwater since October trying to find a way to stick with the Phillies.
"I'm trying to win a job," said Brown. "I am fighting to win a job, and that's the big goal. But if I start in AAA, I start in AAA."
"As Charlie says, 'it's okay to steal somebody's job.' So it will be real interesting to see how he plays this spring, and he seems to be in a great frame of mind," says Ruben Amaro, Jr.An
d helping with that is Ryan Howard. The 'Big Piece' gave Brown a big, yet small piece of advice, be yourself.
"Its pressure plus," said Brown. "Especially playing in Philly, but that comes with the territory. I think the more and more I play, the more relaxed I will become. And I think that's the big key."
Brown has also been working with Gary Sheffield, the former major leaguer who played two decades in the majors and hit more than 500 homers. It is fair to say that Brown is in good hands.
philadelphia phillies, mlb, jeff skversky
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 25 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- Van crash leaves 2 men trapped in Center City
- Victim critical after stabbing in Frankford
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids 32 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
25 min ago