Kendrick dominant for Phillies in 1-0 win
MIAMI (AP) - August 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Kyle Kendrick pitched five-hit ball for seven innings and Jimmy Rollins homered off Josh Johnson to start the game Tuesday night, leading the Philadelphia Phillies to a 1-0 victory over the Miami Marlins.
Charlie Manuel earned his 700th win as a manager with the Phillies' second straight shutout. Cole Hamels opened the series between NL East rivals with a 4-0 victory.
The Marlins have not scored in 27 innings.
Kendrick (5-9) struck out six while throwing 61 of 87 pitches for strikes. He was lifted for pinch-hitter Laynce Nix in the eighth. Kendrick has won seven straight against the Marlins dating back to September 2008.
Josh Lindblom and Jonathan Papelbon each pitched a hitless inning. Papelbon walked Carlos Lee with two outs then got Giancarlo Stanton to ground out for his 26th save.
Johnson (7-9) went eight innings and allowed three hits. He struck out seven and walked one.
Rollins hit Johnson's second pitch into the right field stands for his 14th homer of the year. It was his 41st career lead-off home run.
Miami's best opportunity to score came in the sixth after Bryan Petersen led off with a single and advanced to third on a pair of groundouts. Lee popped out to end the inning.
NOTES: Johnson is 2-3 with a 2.04 ERA in his last six starts against Philadelphia. ... Kendrick is 7-0 with a 2.28 ERA against Miami in his last nine appearances, making eight starts. ... Rollins passed Larry Bowa for most games played (1,731) at shortstop for the Phillies. ... Miami's 23-year old catcher Rob Brantly made his major league debut. Brantly, who was acquired from the Detroit Tigers on July 23, went 0 for 3. ... Phillies RHP Roy Halladay (6-6, 3.80 ERA) will take the mound in Wednesday's series finale against LHP Mark Buehrle (9-11, 3.80 ERA), who will be looking for his 12th consecutive 10-win season.
philadelphia phillies, mlb
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Drugs, $29K seized in raid at Rowan U. dorm 26 min ago
- Police search for missing Rider University student
- Coroner: Frat pledge died from head injuries 43 min ago
- Tennis coach charged with corruption of minors
- Police: Driver dies in crash after fleeing 2 others
- Arrest made after taxi carjacking in South Phila.
- Man arrested in car bomb plot at Kansas airport 4 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million
- Driver facing drug charges after crash with police cruiser 27 min ago
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought