Phillies fire 3 coaches after 81-81 season
WASHINGTON (AP) - October 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Immediately after finishing with a .500 record, the Philadelphia Phillies fired first base coach Sam Perlozzo, bench coach Pete Mackanin and hitting coach Greg Gross.
The club announced the changes after its season ended with a 3-1 loss at the Washington Nationals on Wednesday. The Phillies finished 81-81 and in third place in the NL East, ending a run of five consecutive division titles - and nine winning seasons in a row.
Perlozzo, former manager of the Baltimore Orioles, joined the Phillies as their third base coach for the 2009 season. He moved to first base in 2011.
Gross was Philadelphia's bench coach in 2001, then hitting coach from 2002-04 and from July 2010 until Wednesday.
Mackanin joined the Phillies in 2009.
philadelphia phillies, cliff lee, jimmy rollins, charlie manuel, chase utley, mlb
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Frost Advisory Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp.
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Rangers top Flyers in playoff opener 4-1