Phillies fire 3 coaches after 81-81 season
WASHINGTON (AP) - October 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Immediately after finishing with a .500 record, the Philadelphia Phillies fired first base coach Sam Perlozzo, bench coach Pete Mackanin and hitting coach Greg Gross.
The club announced the changes after its season ended with a 3-1 loss at the Washington Nationals on Wednesday. The Phillies finished 81-81 and in third place in the NL East, ending a run of five consecutive division titles - and nine winning seasons in a row.
Perlozzo, former manager of the Baltimore Orioles, joined the Phillies as their third base coach for the 2009 season. He moved to first base in 2011.
Gross was Philadelphia's bench coach in 2001, then hitting coach from 2002-04 and from July 2010 until Wednesday.
Mackanin joined the Phillies in 2009.
philadelphia phillies, cliff lee, jimmy rollins, charlie manuel, chase utley, mlb
- Robber slashed with knife; suspect's mom talks 32 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler 6 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash
- Mattress catches fire in townhouse in Whitemarsh
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash
- Robber slashed with knife; suspect's mom...
32 min ago