Phillies fire 3 coaches after 81-81 season
WASHINGTON (AP) - October 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Immediately after finishing with a .500 record, the Philadelphia Phillies fired first base coach Sam Perlozzo, bench coach Pete Mackanin and hitting coach Greg Gross.
The club announced the changes after its season ended with a 3-1 loss at the Washington Nationals on Wednesday. The Phillies finished 81-81 and in third place in the NL East, ending a run of five consecutive division titles - and nine winning seasons in a row.
Perlozzo, former manager of the Baltimore Orioles, joined the Phillies as their third base coach for the 2009 season. He moved to first base in 2011.
Gross was Philadelphia's bench coach in 2001, then hitting coach from 2002-04 and from July 2010 until Wednesday.
Mackanin joined the Phillies in 2009.
philadelphia phillies, cliff lee, jimmy rollins, charlie manuel, chase utley, mlb
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Teen injured in Willingboro hit, run 29 min ago
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant 53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos