Phillies fire 3 coaches after 81-81 season
WASHINGTON (AP) - October 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Immediately after finishing with a .500 record, the Philadelphia Phillies fired first base coach Sam Perlozzo, bench coach Pete Mackanin and hitting coach Greg Gross.
The club announced the changes after its season ended with a 3-1 loss at the Washington Nationals on Wednesday. The Phillies finished 81-81 and in third place in the NL East, ending a run of five consecutive division titles - and nine winning seasons in a row.
Perlozzo, former manager of the Baltimore Orioles, joined the Phillies as their third base coach for the 2009 season. He moved to first base in 2011.
Gross was Philadelphia's bench coach in 2001, then hitting coach from 2002-04 and from July 2010 until Wednesday.
Mackanin joined the Phillies in 2009.
philadelphia phillies, cliff lee, jimmy rollins, charlie manuel, chase utley, mlb
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting 44 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- Video: Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting
44 min ago
- Fire damages corner store in North Phila.
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos