Phillies fire 3 coaches after 81-81 season
WASHINGTON (AP) - October 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Immediately after finishing with a .500 record, the Philadelphia Phillies fired first base coach Sam Perlozzo, bench coach Pete Mackanin and hitting coach Greg Gross.
The club announced the changes after its season ended with a 3-1 loss at the Washington Nationals on Wednesday. The Phillies finished 81-81 and in third place in the NL East, ending a run of five consecutive division titles - and nine winning seasons in a row.
Perlozzo, former manager of the Baltimore Orioles, joined the Phillies as their third base coach for the 2009 season. He moved to first base in 2011.
Gross was Philadelphia's bench coach in 2001, then hitting coach from 2002-04 and from July 2010 until Wednesday.
Mackanin joined the Phillies in 2009.
philadelphia phillies, cliff lee, jimmy rollins, charlie manuel, chase utley, mlb
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- A Nice Stretch 35 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case 21 min ago
- Computer outage delays travelers at Phila. Airport 26 min ago
- Father, son 'pimps' acquitted after prostitutes testify 55 min ago
- Wilmington boy reported missing found safe
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect 29 min ago
- Friends mourn NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Public hearing underway on city demo procedures 33 min ago
- Death investigation leads police to home of Patriots TE
- FBI hunt for ex-Teamster boss Hoffa's remains ends 15 min ago
- Rollings Stones review: How old is too old?
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot...
29 min ago
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in...
30 min ago