Hamels has 2 good innings in debut; Astros win 8-3
CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) - February 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- Cole Hamels pitched two innings of one-hit ball, but the Astros overwhelmed the Phillies relievers and won the Grapefruit League opener for both teams 8-3 Saturday.
A home run from Brandon Barnes along with some sloppy defense by Philadelphia helped Houston overcome a 2-0 deficit after two innings. They scored six runs over the next five innings.
Barnes' homer bookended four RBI singles from the Astros and a RBI groundout.
Chase Utley drove in new teammate Ben Revere in the first for a 1-0 lead. Yuniesky Betancourt hit a RBI single the second for Philadelphia. Pete Orr added a home run in the eighth inning for the Phillies' final run.
philadelphia phillies, cliff lee, jimmy rollins, charlie manuel, chase utley, mlb
- Driver ID'd, charged in fatal crash in Lawrence, N.J. 8 min ago
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church 42 min ago
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos
- NASA: Space station may have bad valve 25 min ago
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Photos: Top Holiday Tech Gifts 2013!
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Driver ID'd, charged in fatal crash in...
8 min ago