Hamels has 2 good innings in debut; Astros win 8-3
CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) - February 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- Cole Hamels pitched two innings of one-hit ball, but the Astros overwhelmed the Phillies relievers and won the Grapefruit League opener for both teams 8-3 Saturday.
A home run from Brandon Barnes along with some sloppy defense by Philadelphia helped Houston overcome a 2-0 deficit after two innings. They scored six runs over the next five innings.
Barnes' homer bookended four RBI singles from the Astros and a RBI groundout.
Chase Utley drove in new teammate Ben Revere in the first for a 1-0 lead. Yuniesky Betancourt hit a RBI single the second for Philadelphia. Pete Orr added a home run in the eighth inning for the Phillies' final run.
philadelphia phillies, cliff lee, jimmy rollins, charlie manuel, chase utley, mlb
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- Delaware Co. mother seeks help finding son's killer
- Minn. man pulls police officer from burning car
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies