Hamels has 2 good innings in debut; Astros win 8-3
CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) - February 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- Cole Hamels pitched two innings of one-hit ball, but the Astros overwhelmed the Phillies relievers and won the Grapefruit League opener for both teams 8-3 Saturday.
A home run from Brandon Barnes along with some sloppy defense by Philadelphia helped Houston overcome a 2-0 deficit after two innings. They scored six runs over the next five innings.
Barnes' homer bookended four RBI singles from the Astros and a RBI groundout.
Chase Utley drove in new teammate Ben Revere in the first for a 1-0 lead. Yuniesky Betancourt hit a RBI single the second for Philadelphia. Pete Orr added a home run in the eighth inning for the Phillies' final run.
philadelphia phillies, cliff lee, jimmy rollins, charlie manuel, chase utley, mlb
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 39 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
- Carolers to perform for cancer patient in...
40 min ago