Utley triple in 10th leads Phils over Marlins 3-1
MIAMI - April 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Chase Utley hit a go-ahead triple in the 10th inning off Jon Rauch, and the Philadelphia Phillies beat Miami 3-1 Friday night and dropped the Marlins to 1-9.
Miami is off to the poorest start by a big league team since Baltimore and Houston lost nine of their first 10 games in 2010, according to STATS. The Marlins, held to four singles by John Lannan and four relievers, are batting .209 with just two home runs and 15 extra-base hits.
Revere singled with one out in the 10th against Rauch (0-1) and Utley tripled into the right-field corner. Ryan Howard was intentionally walked, and Michael Young hit a hard grounder up the middle that shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria gloved with a dive. He flipped the ball to second baseman Donovan Solano, who missed stepping on the base as Utley scored on the infield hit.
Marlins right fielder Giancarlo Stanton was a late scratch with a sore left shoulder.
Phillippe Aumont (1-0) pitched a scoreless ninth, and Todd Papelbon finished for his second save with a scoreless 10th.
The crowd of 17,923 was up from 13,810 Wednesday, a record low for the ballpark that opened last year.
Ricky Nolasco, at $11.5 million the only high-salaried Marlins player to survive an offseason payroll purge, allowed one run and seven hits in six innings.
Lannan gave up one run and three hits in six innings.
Doubles by Howard and Domonic Brown put the Phillies ahead in the sixth. Miami ended a 15-inning scoreless streak in the bottom half when Juan Pierre was hit by a pitch and scored on a two-out single by Placido Polanco.
philadelphia phillies, cliff lee, jimmy rollins, charlie manuel, chase utley, mlb
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler 59 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Body found on side of road in Wilmington 16 min ago
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Reward offered after dogs found in trash bags 23 min ago
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash