Phillies' Roy Halladay to have surgery for bone spur in shoulder
SAN FRANCISCO - May 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Roy Halladay will have arthroscopic surgery to repair a bone spur in his right shoulder.
On the 15-day disabled list because of inflammation in his throwing shoulder, the two-time Cy Young Award winner met with Dr. Lewis Yocum in Los Angeles on Tuesday.
"They're going to go in and clean up the bone spur, clean up the rotator cuff and the labrum, try and keep that as unevasive as possible," Halladay said Wednesday before the Phillies played the San Francisco Giants.
"From what i understand, if they go in and see during surgery what they saw on the exams, i have a chance to come back and pitch this year - I have a good chance to come back and pitch this year. hopefully be a lot more effective."
The 35-year-old right-hander is 2-4 with an 8.65 ERA in seven starts this season after missing nearly two months last year because of a strained back muscle.
"They said my range of motion will be better, my location will be better, hopefully the velocity will be better," Halladay said. "They said the cause is a bone spur; the rotator cuff kept rubbing over it. Over time, it gradually created more and more of a tear. They want to get that cleaned up and get that out of there."
Even if he returns this year, Halladay figures to miss a substantial part of the season.
"He said in certain cases it's been three months. but we really don't have a timetable," Halladay said of Yocum's prognosis. "I think the timetable is going to come once they go in and confirm that, hey, what we saw on the X-rays is exactly what we saw when we went in there. They were definitely optimistic that I would be back this year."
The right-hander said he started feeling discomfort the morning after an April 24 start against Pittsburgh. He has made two ineffective starts since.
philadelphia phillies, roy halladay, mlb
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe in Va. 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 35 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila. 25 min ago
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
35 min ago