Lee pitches 3-hitter, Phillies blank Marlins 3-0
MIAMI (AP) - May 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Cliff Lee pitched a three-hitter for his 12th career shutout and Delmon Young homered for the second straight game, sending the Philadelphia Phillies past the Miami Marlins 3-0 on Wednesday night.
Lee (5-2) struck out five, walked two and hit a batter in his first shutout since Sept. 5, 2011. The Marlins were blanked for the ninth time this season.
Lee also helped himself by getting two hits.
Young hit a solo home run off Kevin Slowey (1-5) in the fourth. It was Young's third homer, including a drive off Miami's Jose Fernandez on Tuesday night.
Slowey exited before the sixth inning with a strained left lat muscle. The Marlins said he was day to day.
Slowey allowed six hits and struck out six.
Lee has allowed three or less runs in eight of his 10 starts. Miami's only hits were Marcell Ozuna's infield single leading off the second, Miguel Olivo's lined single opening the sixth and Derek Dietrich's infield single in the ninth.
Philadelphia scored twice off Wade LeBlanc with two outs in the sixth to go ahead 3-0.
Young reached on a two-out infield hit and scored on Domonic Brown's triple. Freddy Galvis singled home Brown.
The Marlins failed to score despite loading the bases with none out in the second. Nick Green grounded into a third-to-home-to-first double play and Jeff Mathis popped up.
In the fifth, Chris Coghlan walked but was thrown out at second as he tried to advance when Green flied out to deep right. Young threw to shortstop Jimmy Rollins, who applied the tag as Coghlan slid in headfirst.
NOTES: Philadelphia 2B Chase Utley is scheduled for an MRI on Thursday on his sore ribcage. He was scratched from the lineup for Philadelphia's 7-3 win on Tuesday night after feeling discomfort during batting practice. ... Miami RF Giancarlo Stanton (strained hamstring) took swings on the field during batting practice for the first time since going on the disabled list April 30. He's hoping to begin running next week. ... The Phillies (23-24) have not been at .500 since being 6-6 on April 14.
philadelphia phillies, cliff lee, jimmy rollins, charlie manuel, chase utley, mlb
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 27 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
42 min ago
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit,...
27 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos