Darren Daulton awake, talking after both brain tumors removed
PHILADELPHIA - July 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Former Phillies catcher Darren Daulton was awake, talking with family members and in good spirits Monday afternoon, hours after undergoing a procedure to remove two tumors from his brain, his doctor said.
Dr. Kevin Judy of Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, who performed the surgery, said Daulton came through the 7-hour procedure with no complications.
He is expected to released later this week.
Daulton was sedated and remained awake for the procedure, so doctors could monitor effects on his language functions, said Judy.
Contrary to earlier reports that indicated one of the tumors was inoperable, Judy said he was successfully able to remove both tumors. He acknowledged that one of the tumors was in a "less eloquent" part of the brain, but that at no point did he consider it to be inoperable.
Daulton will undergo radiation treatments and speech therapy. Judy says the scale level of the glioma tumor removed from Daulton's brain is still unknown. Glioma tumors are graded from one to four.
The surgery followed last week's revelation that the 51-year-old Daulton had been admitted to the hospital's intensive care unit. He had complained of not feeling well for several weeks.
A 3-time All Star, Daulton played 14½ of his 15 seasons with the Phillies and was a key part of the NL championship team in 1993. He finished his career with the 1997 World Series champion Florida Marlins.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
philadelphia phillies, cliff lee, jimmy rollins, charlie manuel, chase utley, mlb
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco school on lockdown amid standoff
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures