Darren Daulton awake, talking after both brain tumors removed
PHILADELPHIA - July 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Former Phillies catcher Darren Daulton was awake, talking with family members and in good spirits Monday afternoon, hours after undergoing a procedure to remove two tumors from his brain, his doctor said.
Dr. Kevin Judy of Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, who performed the surgery, said Daulton came through the 7-hour procedure with no complications.
He is expected to released later this week.
Daulton was sedated and remained awake for the procedure, so doctors could monitor effects on his language functions, said Judy.
Contrary to earlier reports that indicated one of the tumors was inoperable, Judy said he was successfully able to remove both tumors. He acknowledged that one of the tumors was in a "less eloquent" part of the brain, but that at no point did he consider it to be inoperable.
Daulton will undergo radiation treatments and speech therapy. Judy says the scale level of the glioma tumor removed from Daulton's brain is still unknown. Glioma tumors are graded from one to four.
The surgery followed last week's revelation that the 51-year-old Daulton had been admitted to the hospital's intensive care unit. He had complained of not feeling well for several weeks.
A 3-time All Star, Daulton played 14½ of his 15 seasons with the Phillies and was a key part of the NL championship team in 1993. He finished his career with the 1997 World Series champion Florida Marlins.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
philadelphia phillies, cliff lee, jimmy rollins, charlie manuel, chase utley, mlb
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- Tracking Weekend Storm 20 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash 46 min ago
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering 40 min ago
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes 34 min ago
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- Suspect sought after West Philadelphia bank robbery 59 min ago
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- Tracking Weekend Storm
20 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos