Phillies place Ryan Howard on 15-day disabled list
PHILADELPHIA - July 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia Phillies placed first baseman Ryan Howard on the 15-day disabled list Saturday due to left knee inflammation.
Howard originally was in Saturday's starting lineup but was a late scratch. The three-time All-Star has struggled while playing through the knee injury, batting .266 with 11 homers and 43 RBIs this season.
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro said Howard would have an MRI on Sunday or Monday.
"It got to the point where it's time for him to get off of it, the discomfort is too great," Amaro said. "This is a big blow to us."
The Phillies called up Darin Ruf from Triple-A Lehigh Valley to take Howard's place. Ruf batted .266 with seven homers and 46 RBIs at Lehigh Valley. He had two homers and nine RBIs in 57 at-bats for the Phillies last season.
philadelphia phillies, cliff lee, jimmy rollins, charlie manuel, chase utley, mlb
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ
- Winter's Last Blast
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words 9 min ago
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
- Video: Car spins out on I-95 in South Phila.
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep 26 min ago
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash