Phillies slugger Ryan Howard needs knee surgery, out 6-8 weeks
PHILADELPHIA - July 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Phillies slugger Ryan Howard needs surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee and will miss at least six to eight weeks.
Howard, the 2006 NL MVP, went on the disabled list Saturday. An MRI Monday confirmed the tear in his knee. A date for surgery hasn't been set.
The three-time All-Star was hitting .266 with 11 homers and 43 RBIs. He was noticeably limping during games before he was shut down. He said he continued to play through the pain because he thought he could perform.
Howard played his first game last season on July 6 after tearing his left Achilles tendon making the final out in the 2011 NL division series.
philadelphia phillies, cliff lee, jimmy rollins, charlie manuel, chase utley, mlb
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- 12 dead in Mt. Everest avalanche
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business 59 min ago
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sinking ferry
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape 36 min ago
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business
59 min ago
- Dead body found during Easter egg hunt
54 min ago