Phillies slugger Ryan Howard needs knee surgery, out 6-8 weeks
PHILADELPHIA - July 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Phillies slugger Ryan Howard needs surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee and will miss at least six to eight weeks.
Howard, the 2006 NL MVP, went on the disabled list Saturday. An MRI Monday confirmed the tear in his knee. A date for surgery hasn't been set.
The three-time All-Star was hitting .266 with 11 homers and 43 RBIs. He was noticeably limping during games before he was shut down. He said he continued to play through the pain because he thought he could perform.
Howard played his first game last season on July 6 after tearing his left Achilles tendon making the final out in the 2011 NL division series.
philadelphia phillies, cliff lee, jimmy rollins, charlie manuel, chase utley, mlb
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
- Winter Warm Up 58 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career 58 min ago
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
58 min ago