Darren Daulton diagnosed with brain cancer, foundation says
PHILADELPHIA - July 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Former Philadelphia Phillies catcher Darren Daulton has been diagnosed with a Glioblastoma, a form of brain cancer, according to his foundation.
Tony Perri, the President of The Darren Daulton Foundation, posted an update on the foundation's website Wednesday afternoon.
"He has returned to his Clearwater area home to continue recuperating amongst his immediate family and friends," Perri writes.
Daulton, 51, will begin treatments in Florida.
A Glioblastoma is the most common and most aggressive malignant brain tumor. They typically spread quickly with tentacle-like projections.
On July 1st, neurosurgeon Dr. Kevin Judy at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital said the surgery to remove two tumors was successful. It was a delicate procedure as one of the tumors was in the language area of the brain.
Dr. Judy said then even if the tumors are completely removed, there can still be malignant cells left behind, so Daulton will likely also need radiation.
Standard protocol for Glioblastoma is surgery followed by oral chemotherapy along with radiation. However there is no cure.
Even with treatment, the average survival time is 15 months.
If most of the tumor is able to be removed during surgery, patients typically stay healthier longer.
The statement goes on to say, "Darren and his family wish to thank everyone for their loving support throughout this difficult time. He is deeply touched. In typical fashion, he again said, 'Right on; Fight on.'"
The September 9th golf tournament that benefits the Foundation will continue as planned at the urging of Daulton, Perri says.
A 3-time All Star, Daulton played 14½ of his 15 seasons with the Phillies and was a key part of the NL championship team in 1993. He finished his career with the 1997 World Series champion Florida Marlins.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
philadelphia phillies, cliff lee, jimmy rollins, charlie manuel, chase utley, mlb
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist 30 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today 15 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep 25 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 38 min ago
- 5 injured in 7 vehicle wreck on I-95 in Del.
- Police investigate serious crash in Levittown 41 min ago
- Mom to surrender after daughter, 11, shot and killed 29 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 31 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Man with samurai sword arrested at New Jersey deli
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
15 min ago
- Art of Aging: Retirement opportunities
12 min ago
- Fire forces several residents from Logan...
55 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
31 min ago