Maddux, Glavine, F. Thomas on HOF ballot
Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and Frank Thomas are among 19 newcomers on this year's Hall of Fame ballot, joining a collection of steroid-tainted holdovers that include Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa.
NEW YORK -- Four-time Cy Young Award winner Greg Maddux, two-time winner Tom Glavine and two-time AL MVP Frank Thomas are among 19 newcomers on this year's Hall of Fame ballot, joining PEDs-tainted holdovers Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa.
Voters are the approximately 600 writers who have been members of the BBWAA for 10 consecutive years at any point. Ballots are due by Dec. 31, and results will be announced Jan. 8.
Players elected along with choices announced Dec. 9 by the expansion era committee (1973 and later) will be inducted July 27 at Cooperstown. Among those on the committee ballot are retired managers Bobby Cox, Tony La Russa and Joe Torre; late Yankees owner George Steinbrenner; and late players' union head Marvin Miller.
Last year, the BBWAA failed for the first time since 1996 to produce any inductees. Craig Biggio came closest to receiving the necessary 75 percent, falling 39 votes shy with 388 (68.2 percent).
Jack Morris, who will be on the ballot for the final time this year, was second with 67.7 percent, followed by Jeff Bagwell (59.6), Mike Piazza (57.8), Tim Raines (52.2), Lee Smith (47.8) and Curt Schilling (38.8).
Making their first appearances on the ballot, Clemens was at 37.6 percent, Bonds at 36.2 and Sosa at 12.5. McGwire received 16.9 percent on his seventh try.
Players remain on the ballot if they receive at least 5 percent support and can stay in the voting for up to 15 years.
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 55 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Pictures of planned Old city luxury tower 42 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos