Yanks, Winston eager for matchup Tuesday
The New York Yankees could face a hard-throwing Heisman Trophy winner in their first spring training game.
TAMPA, Fla. -- The New York Yankees could face a hard-throwing Heisman Trophy winner in their first spring training game Tuesday.
Florida State, with 2013 Heisman winner and closer Jameis Winston, will play the Yankees at Steinbrenner Field.
"I'm looking forward to seeing him," Hall of Fame closer and Yankees spring training instructor Goose Gossage said.
Winston told ESPN that he expects to be nervous against the Yankees, who he said are his "favorite team."
"I think I'm going to be a little starstruck," he said.
Winston led the Seminoles' football team to the 2013 national title with a 14-0 record that was capped on Jan. 6 by a 34-31 victory over Auburn in the BCS National Championship. The 6-foot-4, 230-pound sophomore has allowed one hit over four scoreless innings in three games this season.
"It will be fun to watch," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "Obviously, he's extremely athletic when you watch him play the game of football. He's got a great arm. Pretty mature for his age."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 5 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Pictures of planned Old city luxury tower
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos