Izturis agrees to 3-year, $10M deal with Jays
Infielder Maicer Izturis became the first major league free agent this offseason to join a new team, agreeing Thursday to a $10 million, three-year contract with the Toronto Blue Jays.INDIAN WELLS, Calif. -- Infielder Maicer Izturis became the first major league free agent this offseason to join a new team, agreeing Thursday to a $10 million, three-year contract with the Toronto Blue Jays.
Toronto said the deal was for $3 million annually. The team has a $3 million option for 2016 with a $1 million buyout.
The 32-year-old hit .256 with 17 steals in 19 tries, two homers and 20 RBIs this year for the Los Angeles Angels. After reaching the big leagues with the Montreal Expos in 2004, Izturis spent eight years with the Angels. He has a .273 career average with 81 steals.
"He's someone that's going to come in and compete for the job at second base," said Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos at the GM meetings in California. "He's not guaranteed the job, but the fact that he can play all over the infield, he's just a valuable guy to have. He can do a lot of little things. He's a winning player. He can draw a walk. He can put the ball in play -- a pretty good contact rate. He can run a little bit and steal some bags. He plays very good defensively, as well, and is a good teammate, good in the clubhouse."
Toronto also purchased right-hander Jeremy Jeffress from Kansas City. He was 0-0 with a 6.75 ERA in 13 relief appearances for the Royals this year. The Royals traded left-hander Tommy Hottovy to Texas for a player to be named and cash. He had no record and a 2.89 ERA in nine relief appearances.
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line 28 min ago
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon 37 min ago
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 27 min ago
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught...
26 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish...
28 min ago
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston...
37 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos