Rangers to play at San Antonio's Alamodome
The Rangers are expected to play one or two games at San Antonio's Alamodome.
The Texas Rangers are expected to play one or two exhibition games in the Alamodome in San Antonio before the 2013 season, the first time a big league baseball game will be played in an arena that wasn't originally built with baseball in mind.
Reid Ryan, CEO of Triple-A Round Rock, confirmed that the plan is for the Rangers to play in the Alamodome but said more information would be available in the near future, possibly as early as a news conference Friday. That should include which team will be playing against the Rangers.
Texas could play the games on a Friday and Saturday in March, according to the San Antonio Express-News, which first reported the story.
"The exciting thing for San Antonio is that this is going to be the first time that baseball is going to be played at the Alamodome," Ryan said. "For the Rangers, to be able to extend the brand in Round Rock and now down in San Antonio is going to be good for baseball and good for the Rangers and their fans."
San Antonio's mayor, Julian Castro, told the Express-News that he believes the game could get local fans interested in trying to attract more big league teams to the city to join the NBA's Spurs. San Antonio is currently home to the Missions, the Double-A affiliate of the San Diego Padres.
"There's no question that San Antonio is getting closer and closer with the explosive growth of population, rising income levels and a booming television market," Castro told the newspaper. "Our city is closer than it ever has been, but it's also still a challenge to predict exactly when we'll get something."
- Photos: Wintry weather forecast maps
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- $10K reward in murder of Chester gas station owner
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Mandela
- Suspects sought in Glenside carjacking, abduction
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist
- NJ officers play Santa for 'Shop with a Cop'
- Susan Boyle says Asperger's diagnosis was a relief 44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos