LaHair agrees to 2-year deal with Japan team
The Chicago Cubs designated Bryan LaHair for assignment, the team announced Tuesday. LaHair reached a two-year, $4 million agreement with the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks in Japan. The Cubs received $950,000 in the deal, a source told ESPN.
LaHair then reached a two-year, $4 million agreement with the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks in Japan. The Cubs received $950,000 in the deal, a source told ESPN.
An unlikely 2012 All-Star in his first full season in the major leagues, LaHair, 30, batted .286 with 14 home runs and 30 RBIs before the All-Star break but fell to .202 with two home runs and 10 RBIs after it. He lost the first-base job to top prospect Anthony Rizzo in June and served as a bench player the rest of the season.
"I'm just taking all the positives out of this year, I'm not taking any negatives," LaHair said Oct. 3. "I got a chance to play early this year, and I did well. I played off the bench in the second half, and I thought I did well."
The Cubs also added four players to their 40-man roster Tuesday: right-handed pitcher Trey McNutt from Double-A Tennessee, infielder Christian Villanueva from Class A Daytona, infielder Logan Watkins from Tennessee and right-handed pitcher Robert Whitenack from Daytona.
The Cubs opened up a spot on the 40-man roster when they traded pitcher Jake Brigham back to the Texas Rangers for right-handed pitcher Barret Loux and a player to be named. Brigham was acquired from the Rangers for catcher Geovany Soto on July 31.
Loux, 23, was named the 2012 Double-A Texas League Pitcher of the Year after going 14-1 with a 3.47 ERA. He led the Texas League in wins.
Information from ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney and ESPNChicago.com's Sahadev Sharma was used in this report.
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success' 54 min ago
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Worth the wait: Easter treats in Philadelphia
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
42 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos