Giants, Scutaro agree to 3-year, $20M contract
Second baseman Marco Scutaro is staying in San Francisco after agreeing to a $20 million, three-year contract with the Giants late Tuesday.SAN FRANCISCO -- Second baseman Marco Scutaro is staying in San Francisco after agreeing to a $20 million, three-year contract with the Giants late Tuesday.
Vice president of baseball operations Bobby Evans said the sides had agreed to a deal, pending a physical.
Earlier in the evening, Scutaro had been weighing a two-year contract offer that included a vesting option -- but he was seeking a three-year deal to remain with the World Series champions. The Giants and Scutaro's representatives met Tuesday at the winter meetings in Nashville, Tenn.
In other moves, the Giants exercised 2014 contract options on manager Bruce Bochy and GM Brian Sabean.
The 37-year-old Scutaro, the NL championship series MVP, batted .362 with three homers and 44 RBIs in 61 games with the Giants after he was acquired in a July 27 trade with Colorado.
The Giants suddenly have quite a familiar roster returning after making two big moves in as many days to keep their own free agents. On Monday, center fielder Angel Pagan agreed to a $40 million, four-year contract.
Left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt received an $18 million, three-year contract on Nov. 14.
Retaining Affeldt, Pagan and Scutaro were among the top priorities for Sabean and Evans this offseason.
The 31-year-old Pagan batted .288 with eight home runs, 56 RBIs and a San Francisco-best 15 triples in his first season with the Giants. Pagan said late in the season and again after the World Series parade that he hoped to return, but wanted to test free agency and sought some job security in the form of a multiyear deal.
On Friday, Sabean said the club had made backup plans to move forward without Pagan or Scutaro in case neither decided to re-sign -- but progress with Pagan apparently happened during the weekend after Sabean said, "We don't have a deal, so that tells you we're not close."
San Francisco declined Friday to tender a contract to closer Brian Wilson, the 2010 majors saves leader with 48. The right-hander is working his way back from a second Tommy John surgery on his pitching elbow.
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expressway crash 18 min ago
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos