Source: Blanton to Angels for two years, $15M
The Los Angeles Angels agreed to a two-year, $15 million deal with starter Joe Blanton and a multiyear deal with reliever Sean Burnett on Wednesday.The Los Angeles Angels added another piece to their rotation Wednesday, agreeing with free agent Joe Blanton on a two-year contract worth $15 million, according to a source.
The guaranteed deal includes a club option for a third year, the source said.
The Angels also bolstered their bullpen Wednesday, agreeing to a two-year contract with left-handed reliever Sean Burnett.
Financial terms of Burnett's deal, which is pending a physical, were not immediately available.
The addition of Blanton, coupled with last week's acquisition of Tommy Hanson in a trade with Atlanta, appears to make it less likely the Angels will bring back free agent Zack Greinke, who is being pursued aggressively by both the Los Angeles Dodgers and Texas Rangers.
Blanton, who turns 32 next week, is 83-75 with a 4.37 ERA in nine seasons with Oakland, Philadelphia and the Dodgers. He went 10-13 with a 4.71 ERA while splitting the 2012 season between the Phillies and Dodgers. Blanton walked just 34 batters in 191 innings, but also allowed 29 home runs.
The Minnesota Twins were among the other clubs that had been talking to Blanton.
Burnett, 30, has a 15-23 record with a 3.58 ERA in six seasons with Pittsburgh and Washington. He has logged 73, 69 and 70 appearances, respectively, with the Nationals in the past three seasons.
Burnett has held left-handed hitters to a .225 batting average and a .628 OPS during his career.
During the past week, Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto has added Burnett and Ryan Madson to his bullpen through free agency.
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos