Reports: Cards' Wainwright gets $97.5M deal
The St. Louis Cardinals have agreed with ace pitcher Adam Wainwright on a five-year contract extension worth $97.5 million, according to FoxSports.com.The St. Louis Cardinals have agreed with ace pitcher Adam Wainwright on a five-year contract extension worth $97.5 million, according to multiple reports.
Wainwright was set to become a free agent after this season when he will make $12 million under a team option. The right-hander's new deal will begin in 2014, according to multiple media outlets.
The 31-year-old Wainwright went 14-13 with a 3.94 ERA last season after missing the entire 2011 campaign because of an elbow injury.
Wainwright has spent his entire eight-year career with the Cardinals, going 80-48 with a 3.15 ERA in 214 games, including 151 starts. He went 20-11 with a 2.42 ERA in 2010 and was an NL All-Star.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 51 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos