Kazmir injures abdominal, could miss start
Cleveland pitcher Scott Kazmir has a sore abdominal muscle and might miss his first scheduled start for the Indians.TORONTO -- Cleveland pitcher Scott Kazmir has a sore abdominal muscle and might miss his first scheduled start for the Indians.
Kazmir felt sore after playing catch on flat ground during a team workout Monday. The Indians open the season Tuesday night at Toronto.
Manager Terry Francona said Kazmir will be reevaluated after he tries to throw a bullpen on Wednesday. The 29-year-old lefty was set to start Saturday at Tampa Bay.
Kazmir hasn't pitched in the major leagues in almost two years. A two-time All-Star with Tampa Bay, he was released by the Angels in 2011 and pitched last season in independent ball.
The Indians selected Kazmir for the 25-man roster and optioned left-hander Nick Hagadone to Triple-A Columbus. Cleveland also outrighted lefty David Huff to Columbus and had outfielder Ezequiel Carrera claimed off waivers by Philadelphia.
- Autopsy results released in death of Pa. Trooper's wife 19 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos