Guerrero, Willis sign with Long Island Ducks
Vladimir Guerrero has signed a one-year contract to play for the Long Island Ducks of the independent Atlantic League, his agent said Friday.
Vladimir Guerrero has signed a one-year contract to play for the Long Island Ducks of the independent Atlantic League, his agent, Greg Maroni of California Sports Management, said Friday.
The Ducks also announced they signed pitcher Dontrelle Willis, a former National League Rookie of the Year and two-time All-Star.
Guerrero, 38, is a .318 career hitter with 449 home runs and 2,590 hits in 16 seasons with Montreal, the Los Angeles Angels, Texas and Baltimore. He is a nine-time All-Star and eight-time Silver Slugger Award recipient, and won the 2004 American League Most Valuable Player award with the Angels.
Guerrero last appeared in the big leagues with the Orioles in 2011. He played 12 games in Toronto's minor league system last season. Guerrero considered opportunities in Taiwan and with Quebec in the Can-Am League before signing with Long Island, where he owns a home.
"I grew up with the Montreal Expos and played there for almost 10 years," Guerrero said in a statement. "The fans [in Quebec] are my friends. However, my ultimate goal is to make it back to the major leagues and attempt to reach 500 home runs as soon as possible."
Willis, 31, enjoyed his greatest success with the Marlins and owns a career major league record of 72-69 with a 4.17 ERA over nine seasons. He last pitched in the majors in 2011 with Cincinnati.
"Dontrelle has had a great deal of success at the major league level," Ducks president and general manager Michael Pfaff said. "We are eager to add him to our pitching staff and excited to have him join the Atlantic League."
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight 35 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos