Willie Mays' wife of 41 years, Mae, dies at 74
The wife of Hall of Famer Willie Mays, Mae Louise Allen Mays, has died. She was 74.
SAN FRANCISCO -- The wife of Hall of Famer Willie Mays, Mae Louise Allen Mays, has died. She was 74.
Mays announced his wife's death through the San Francisco Giants on Friday. The couple had been married 41 years after they met during his playing years in New York.
The team said Mrs. Mays died in her sleep Friday morning in the couple's Bay Area home after a long fight with Alzheimer's disease.
Mrs. Mays was born on May 26, 1938. She grew up in the racially segregated Homewood section of Pittsburgh, becoming an accomplished sprinter.
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession 42 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight...
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos