Rockies put Helton on DL with inflamed forearm
Todd Helton is back on the disabled list.PHOENIX, Ariz. -- Todd Helton is back on the disabled list.
Sidelined by inflammation in his left forearm, the infielder was put on the 15-day DL Thursday by the Colorado Rockies, a move retroactive to April 20.
The 39-year-old is hitting .268 (11 for 41) with three doubles, one home run and 10 RBIs.
"It's those tendons that go into the wrist," Helton said before Thursday game against Arizona. "It just bothers me to swing. It's gotten a lot better, but I'm sure one good swing I'd be right back where I started. So I'll let this thing get healed up and get right back after it."
Colorado recalled infielder Ryan Wheeler from Triple-A Colorado Springs, and he started at third base and batted sixth against his former team.
The longtime face of the franchise, Helton was limited to 69 games last season because of a hip injury and had surgery in August to repair a torn labrum in his right hip. A career .320 hitter, Helton batted .238 with seven homers and 37 RBIs in 2012.
"We wanted to give him every opportunity to get healthy," Rockies manager Walt Weiss said. "He's so important to our club. It got to the point to where it was still going to be a few more days at least before he felt good about really letting it go with the bat."
- Trash truck overturns on Rt. 130 in Pennsauken 36 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown 34 min ago
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 56 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Photos: Royal family kicks off tour of Australia
- Freeze Warning overnight
5 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos