MLB fines Rays' Price, ump Hallion for spat
Major League Baseball has fined umpire Tom Hallion and Tampa Bay Rays pitchers David Price, Jeremy Hellickson and Matt Moore for their involvement in an incident this past Sunday.
Major League Baseball has fined umpire Tom Hallion and Tampa Bay Rays pitchers David Price, Jeremy Hellickson and Matt Moore for their involvement in an incident during this past Sunday's game against the Chicago White Sox.
Price, Hellickson and Moore each have been fined $1,000, according to the Tampa Bay Times. The financial details of Hallion's fine is unclear.
Price accused Hallion of swearing at him in the seventh inning after the ace left-hander showed frustration on the mound in reaction to a pitch he thought the umpire had missed.
The dispute escalated, Price claimed, after Hallion told him to "throw the [expletive] ball over the plate."
After Price recounted the sequence of events following the game, Hallion denied cursing and called the reigning American League Cy Young Award winner a "liar" during an interview with a pool reporter.
MLB vice president Joe Torre dispensed his punishment after reviewing the incident with the assistance of Peter Woodfork, who oversees MLB umpires, and Joe Garagiola, who handles player discipline.
A source said Hallion received a fine for his role in the confrontation along with his postgame language. Price, Hellickson and Moore were fined for their critical comments of Hallion on Twitter.
Major League Baseball's social media policy prohibits players from "displaying or transmitting content that questions the impartiality of or otherwise denigrates a major league umpire."
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington 37 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount? 55 min ago
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos