Cardinals' Motte to have Tommy John surgery
St. Louis right-hander Jason Motte will have season-ending Tommy John surgery next week.MILWAUKEE -- St. Louis right-hander Jason Motte will have season-ending Tommy John surgery next week.
The Cardinals reliever was placed on the disabled list on March 29, and eventually diagnosed with a torn ligament in his right elbow. He had been rehabbing and playing catch in an effort to avoid surgery.
However, he had discomfort during a throwing session and it was decided that Motte would have the ligament replacement surgery.
Motte emerged as the Cardinals' closer late in the 2011 season, throwing eight scoreless innings with four saves against Philadelphia and Milwaukee in the NLDS and NLCS, respectively before going 0-1 with a 6.23 ERA during the World Series.
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications 52 min ago
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved 45 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion 59 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Building under demolition collapses in Old...
33 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
59 min ago
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
31 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos