Rangers' Pierzynski (oblique strain) DL-bound
Rangers catcher A.J. Pierzynski will be placed on the 15-day disabled list Friday with a Grade 1 right oblique strain.
"I'm mad because I'm disappointed in myself that I can't play with this," Pierzynski said Wednesday. "I've played through a lot of things; this has just been tough. I've been dealing with this for two weeks now, and it's just not getting any better. We just don't want this to become something that lasts a month or six weeks. I'm disappointed and frustrated, but at the same time, I understand the decision."
Pierzynski said he had an oblique strain last year, sat out three days and it was fine. However, this one appears worse.
Pierzynski has put up a .263/.297/.411 line on the season with four home runs. He also has been the main catcher for one of the best pitching staffs in baseball.
Pierzynski will be eligible to come off the DL on May 21. The move is retroactive to Monday.
Catcher Robinson Chirinos was called up from Triple-A Round Rock to take Pierzynski's spot on the roster.
"Been good reports from the staff there as well as the scouts that have gone in and seen him," general manager Jon Daniels said of Chirinos. "Give you a good at-bat, really handling that staff well. It was between him and [Eli] Whiteside. It really could have gone either way, but that was the recommendation from the guys that have seen [Chirinos]. Give him a chance."
Along with the good reports, Daniels said Chirinos could give manager Ron Washington some versatility with the ability to play a couple spots in the infield. Making the choice between calling up Chirinos and Whiteside a little easier was Chirinos already was on the 40-man roster while the veteran Whiteside was not.
Chirinos has a .295/.404/.487 line with two home runs in 94 plate appearances with Round Rock. He has appeared in games at catcher, designated hitter, first base and third base for Round Rock this season.
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment 47 min ago
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown 20 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel 45 min ago
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser 46 min ago
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 3 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry 2 min ago
- Snowmobiler charged by angry moose
43 min ago
- Firefighters rescue puppy from sewer drain
42 min ago
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
47 min ago
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police...
46 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos