Canseco, 48, to be player-coach for one series
Jose Canseco is back in the independent United League as a player-coach. At least for one series.FORT WORTH, Texas -- Jose Canseco is back in the independent United League as a player-coach. At least for one series.
The 48-year-old Canseco will be with the Fort Worth Cats for their opening four-game homestand, which starts Thursday night.
Fort Worth opens the season against Edinburg, which is managed by Ozzie Canseco, the identical twin brother of the 1986 American League Rookie of the Year and 1988 league MVP.
United League president Byron Pierce says Canseco was "a huge draw" in 2010, when the former slugger was a designated hitter and bench coach in Laredo. Canseco hit four homers with 13 RBIs in 11 games.
Jose Canseco says he's excited to be in Fort Worth to mentor young players and can't wait to go up against his brother.
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 36 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Pictures of planned Old city luxury tower 23 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos