ChiSox's Danks set for first start in 12 months
The Chicago White Sox announced Wednesday night that starting pitcher John Danks will come off the disabled list and make his first start in more than a year.
Danks, who last pitched in May 2012, had first tried to rehabilitate the shoulder injury before opting for surgery in August to repair his rotator cuff and biceps. He will take the mound Friday at home against the Miami Marlins.
"It has been a long recovery," Danks said. "I am excited to get back here and feel like a part of the team, feel like a big leaguer again."
The left-hander began a minor league rehab assignment earlier this month, making four appearances after failing to build sufficient arm strength during several spring training starts. He stayed behind in Glendale, Ariz., to pitch against minor leaguers.
Danks, 27, signed a five-year, $65 million contract with the White Sox before the 2012 season. He has a career record of 57-60 with a 4.12 ERA. He last pitched in the majors on May 19, 2012, going 5 1/3 innings in a victory against the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field.
"I know I will [have butterflies]. It has been a long time," Danks said. "This will be fun to get back and it has been a long couple months since spring training."
White Sox manager Robin Ventura said he expected Danks to be prepared to go deep into Friday's start.
"He would not be here in this spot if we were expecting him to go four innings," Ventura said. "He is ready to go and he feels he is strong enough and will give us a good chance to win."
"That is tough," Ventura said. "That is a part of being in baseball, but we have to do what is best for us. We will figure it out on Friday."
To clear a roster spot, left-hander Donnie Veal was optioned to Triple-A Charlotte after Wednesday's game.
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford 40 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
56 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
46 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos