Yanks' Teixeira 'can't be happier' with progress
Injured New York Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira could soon start playing in minor league games while pitcher Andy Pettitte is also working his way back to the majors.
Teixeira has been out since injuring his right wrist in early March while with the U.S. team preparing for the World Baseball Classic.
The All-Star has been taking part in simulated games this week at the Yankees' minor league complex.
"Everything is great ... I can't be happier with how I feel," Teixeira said Thursday. "Play in a few more games here and then hopefully next week, a rehab assignment at some point.
"The team is doing great and they'd rather you'd make sure you're 100 percent healthy and be ready for long haul. I think that's where we are right here."
Pettitte played catch for the first time since going on the 15-day disabled list last Friday because of a strained left trapezius muscle in his upper back.
"Felt really good," said Pettitte, who will throw again on Friday.
Pettitte (4-3), who will turn 41 next month, missed a start in April because of lower back problems.
Third baseman Alex Rodriguez, coming back from hip surgery in January, kept fielding grounders and hitting in an indoor cage as he wraps up his third week of on-field work. He did not stop to talk with reporters after working out.
A-Rod could rejoin the Yankees after the All-Star break.
There is still no timetable when captain Derek Jeter will make his season debut for the Yankees. He is still recovering from a broken left ankle in last year's AL Championship Series.
The Yankees open a three-games series Friday night in St. Petersburg, Fla., against the Tampa Bay Rays.
Hiroki Kuroda, who left Wednesday night's game against Baltimore with a bruised right calf, was at the complex with a team athletic trainer.
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed 22 min ago
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden 50 min ago
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 10 min ago
- DA: Montco man gave alcohol at 'Sweet 16' party 17 min ago
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 23 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos