Olivo leaves Marlins, placed on restricted list
Miami Marlins catcher Miguel Olivo left the team without permission and was placed on the restricted list, manager Mike Redmond said Saturday.MIAMI -- Miami Marlins catcher Miguel Olivo left the team without permission and was placed on the restricted list, manager Mike Redmond said Saturday.
Olivo, who had seen little playing time recently as the Marlins' No. 3 catcher, departed Friday after batting practice and before the team's game against the St. Louis Cardinals.
"I've never been involved in something like that -- to have somebody just leave after batting practice," Redmond said. "I think everyone was kind of in shock. I know it wasn't an ideal situation for him, not getting to play a lot, but at the same time the team relies on you."
Olivo had a .203 average in 33 games this year with the Marlins. He became the No. 3 catcher when Jeff Mathis was activated from the disabled list May 14 and had only 15 at-bats since then.
Outfielder Jordan Brown was recalled from Triple-A New Orleans on Saturday to take Olivo's roster spot.
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del. 27 min ago
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark,...
27 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos