Orioles' Garcia accepts demotion to minors
Freddy Garcia has re-signed with the Baltimore Orioles and agreed to go to the minors to remain with the team.
The veteran pitcher signed a minor league contract Thursday after he was optioned to Triple-A Norfolk on Monday, an assignment he had the right to refuse if he wanted to become a free agent instead.
Garcia, however, chose to stay with the Orioles.
The 37-year-old righty will report to Norfolk and could again factor into Baltimore's season-long search for a dependable fifth starter.
The Orioles originally signed Garcia to a minor league deal after he was cut in spring training by San Diego. He went 4-0 with a 2.57 ERA in five starts at Triple-A.
Garcia's contract was selected from Norfolk on May 4 and he went 3-5 with a 5.77 ERA in 11 games, including 10 starts, for Baltimore.
- Wedding crashers caught on camera
- Photo released of suspect in WCU indecent assault
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 12 min ago
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos